Everything begins with good health. Research suggests that healthy children do better in school, healthy adults perform better at work, and healthy people are more satisfied with their lives. Just like we go to the gym to strengthen our bodies and prevent illness it is equally important to strengthen our minds, apply coping skills and develop habits that prevent us from growing symptoms of anxiety and depression. When our “mental immune system” and “mental muscles” are strong, we can get through life’s inevitable challenges more easily.
The psychologists at FamilyFirst understand that developing strategies to maximize mental health can improve quality of life and physical health. Increasing our capacity to cope with stressors, making positive dietary and exercise choices, practicing effective sleep habits, increasing our sense of positive self-regard, and improving our relationships with others are wellness essentials.
Our wellness specialists will help you identify your (and your family’s) wellness needs and goals and then collaborate with you to develop an individualized wellness plan for optimizing your health and well-being. Strategies supported by research such as mindfulness, breathwork, and visual imagery will be used. Mindfulness practices increase our capacity to cope with what is, thereby increasing our tolerance for distress.
- Increase your capacity to cope with life’s stressors
- Maximize your potential
- Improve sleep
- Develop a healthy lifestyle which includes appropriate diet and exercise
- Improve relationships
- Feel better about yourself
- Maximize mental health and decrease effects of historic anxiety and depression
- Increase tolerance and patience with self, others, and situations
- Find a greater sense of peace and purpose
Living in our fast-paced world can be a challenge for ourselves and our families. We often take short-cuts and put our minds on “automatic pilot” as we move through the day. The wellness specialists at FamilyFirst can help you learn to live more in the present moment, which research has indicated increases our capacity to cope and decreases stress. Parenting from a position of wellness can improve health and contribute to our raising healthy children.
- MBSR is an educational approach which uses training in mindfulness meditation as the core of a program to teach participants how to better care for themselves and live healthier lives. Research has indicated that participation in an 8-week MBSR program appears to make measurable changes in the parts of the brain associated with memory, sense of self, empathy, and stress. Research has also indicated that mindfulness meditation can help relieve symptoms of pain, anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
- Our next 8-week MBSR group will be announced soon.
- During the pandemic we are offering Free Mindfulness Meditation and Gentle, Relaxing Yoga Classes on Saturday mornings from 10-11 AM via a secure Zoom platform. please contact Dr. Marcia Kaufman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to register.